Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Frostbiting wrap up- 1/7

Hello Laser Sailors,

It was another beautiful day on Sunday- unfortunately lacking in breeze. After a brief postponement we were able to get off 2 races. The third was thankfully abandoned as the little breeze we had died off. Keith Davids won the day- his report is below- full results will be available soon. The weekly raffle prize (a magic marine tool bag provided by APS) went to Russ Wesdyk. Kieran's chili dogs were delicious! Overall a fun day- even if there was not much breeze.

Next week (Sunday Jan. 14) - same time, same place. ****** I still need an SSA laser fleet member to run the mark boat- please contact me ASAP if you are available and have not yet volunteered for a duty day (you know who you are...)********

also- last chance to get in on the fleet sail buy- I will be ordering the sails late next week so if you are interested contact me ASAP. spidervmd@hotmail.com

Top ranked US Laser sailor Andrew Campbell has written a great article. It's all about establishing and achieving you sailing goals for 2007 and includes bits on training, boat prep, and travel logistics for away regattas. Here is the link to the article on his website:

http://www.campbellsailing.com/index.php/2007/01/08/monday-morning-tactician-1807

____________________________________________________

Race One - Whenever the breeze is less than about 6 knots I focus on trying to find the greatest pressure. Before the start of the first race the left side of the course appeared to have slightly more pressure than the right and the current was negligible. The pin was slightly favored, so while Dorian and one other laser battled for the pin, I opted to start a few boats lenghts up the line from the pin with a clear lane. The key to the rest of the beat was to simply keep your boat moving. What little breeze we had was reasonably steady and the boats that led at the top mark were the ones that got off the line with a lane and kept their boat moving. ( I realize that sounds obvious, but in the really light stuff it is critical.). The lead boats from both the left and right sides converged at the top mark almost even. The main goal on the run was to try to find a lane downwind where you weren't completely covered. Remember, in these short races with so many boats finding a clear lane is key: packs of boats are slow.

Race Two - Just prior to the start the breeze shifted left, again slightly favoring the pin. I was able to win the pin, get my boat moving and then tack and cross the fleet to consolidate. The breeze continued to back left a few more degrees and the boats who ducked me after the start were able to close some distance. Eventually I was able to cross the leaders on starboard and let them get to my right. This way I was able to keep pushing the second place boat out toward the layline. (Everytime he would come back on starboard I would lee bow him so he would have to either follow me toward the mark or tack back to port. Of course, the second place boat inevitably did the same to the third place boat. The beauty of this for the leader is that the fleet gets spread out a bit more, which makes the run less perilous.)

I don't think I was the fastest boat last Sunday - I think that honor goes to one of the younger sailors that was flying by people downwind (I'm sorry I don't know his name). That said, I think I can still offer a few tips that the majority of folks might benefit from in the light stuff:

Upwind - You have to get the boat moving before you try to point. I watched a number of folks pointing high but not moving. I think it is crucial to get the boat moving by bearing off slightly. Once the boats gets some headway the foils will start to provide some lift and the height will come. Sail upwind making subtle course changes to either point when the boat is moving well or to bear off as the boat begins to slow down. Sit forward with one leg in front of the mainsheet and when it is as light as it was on Sunday I like a 5 degree leeward heel.

Downwind: Sailing slightly by the lee is very fast in light air, although on the short course you have to weigh that against keeping a clear lane down the run. Vang should be loose and mainsheet should be out just past 90 degrees. Once again when it is so light it pays to sit forward (I have one leg up against the centerboard).

Hope this helps a few of you. Many thanks to the Race Committee for having the patience to run races on what was a beautiful (albeit light air) Sunday in January.
Warm regards,
Keith

____________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________
Powered by Microsoft Small Business
To unsubscribe follow the link:
http://lb.bcentral.com/ex/sp?c=12218&s=BCEBBDEA92DF42FC&m=624

No comments: